At St. Luke’s, our school ethos is titled “Laying the Foundations for Life”. We believe it is essential to ensure pupils hold the core foundations for a happy and successful adult life. As a result, through our R.H.E. teaching, we aim to equip them with the skills they need to allow them to make informed decisions about their wellbeing, health and relationships and to build their self-efficacy. The school’s principles of love, thankfulness and hope underlie our desire for children to develop strong, positive, safe relationships with themselves and others and to develop an understanding of and respect for all those that exist in the world around them.
In our R.H.E. Education, we follow the statutory requirements for Relationships Education and Health Education, which aim to ensure that all pupils:
- Understand what a relationship is, what friendship is, what family means and who the people are who can support them.
- Understand how to take turns, treat each other with kindness, consideration and respect, the importance of honesty and truthfulness, permission seeking and giving, and the concept of personal privacy.
- Understand what a positive and healthy relationship looks like and what a less positive relationship may look like, including understanding how to recognise and report concerns and abuse.
- Develop personal attributes including honesty, integrity, courage, humility, kindness, generosity, trustworthiness and a sense of justice.
- Understand the characteristics of good physical health and mental wellbeing.
- Have the skills they need to make good decisions about their own health and wellbeing (both physical and mental), including understanding what benefits health and wellbeing (e.g. daily exercise, good nutrition, sufficient sleep, hobbies, interests, community participation).
- Have the skills they need to understand and talk about their feelings and emotions.
- Have the skills they need to self-control, self-regulate and persevere.
- Understand how to apply these principles and stay safe and healthy in an online world.